Monday, June 23, 2014

Creative Writing Camp

I had the amazing honor and pleasure of being a part of Rice University's SLC's Year Long Storytelling Project--this familiar place where I was nudged, gently reminded why I am a teacher. Especially. An. Early. Childhood. Teacher. I got to expose children to the power of words and how expressing these words, THEIR words, made them such powerful little people. They got to live everyday in my classroom knowing that words and ideas have this very tangible magic to bring people together, to unite them in a way that nothing else can. I saw children hover over my story taking clipboard, waiting with bated breath to see if they had made it into their friend's story. And I get emotional just thinking about the "Yessssss!!" fist pumping that would ensue when their name was in fact chosen to take part in dramatizing their classmates words. I promise you nothing in the world is more fulfilling and rewarding than witnessing the excitement of storytelling. The buzz that it all created in my classroom. The community that came to life right before my very eyes with words of love, praise, encouragement and understanding that all came about because of storytelling. And through this project I became a part of E.L.L.A --this was the SLC first ever cohort funded by Phillips 66 short for Early Literacy Leadership Academy. I will definitely write you more about that later, but for now know that because of both of these things and because I like to surround myself people who will make me better I was able to participate in Creative Writing Camp. This is a collaboration between Writer's in The School and Rice S.L.C. Athena....it is a dream. THIS is what school SHOULD be. THIS is how children should get introduced to books, reading and words. It should be an experience that involves their whole being and one that the teacher enjoys as much as the children. I just wanted you to know that it is all for you. I will show you more than I can tell you, but FOR NOW  this I can tell you because it is what I know....Stories, words, ideas turned into unforgettable moments, sentences, phrases that move you, impact your life ....your soul... THAT ,my dear, is what life is all about. Everyone has a story that someone wants to hear, needs to hear, wouldn't be the same without hearing. I am here telling you my story because this is exactly what I need to be saying, and telling it to exactly who needs to be hearing it. And I can only pray and wish and hope with every pore of my being that I am lucky enough to not just know and hear your story but be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment